You are here:

End of Life - Advanced Care Planning



Utah Advance Health Care Directive Forms and Instructions

Utah’s Advance Health Care Directive form is established in statute.  A person can create a form that is different from the statutory form, but the law was designed to create a form that would work well for most people.  You do not need a lawyer to complete these forms. If you need assistance in completing the form, contact your primary care physician, your local hospital, or Utah Legal Services (any Utah resident age 60 or older can call 800-662-1772 between 9 am and 2 pm for assistance).

Get Help With Advance Directives at


The following forms reflect Utah law and are helpful to people who wish to communicate their wishes to families and friends. 

Think and Talk About What You Want

Before completing an advance health care directive, you may wish to explore your health care wishes.  The Tool Kit can be used to explore your wishes, to test the knowledge of the person you want to name as your Health Care Agent, and to provide instructions to your Health Care Agent.

Instructions - English / Español Create an Advance Health Care Directive

Start by reading detailed instructions with tips about completing the form.

After you have thought about preferences and read the instructions, complete the form.

Affordable printed Instruction and Form booklets are available from the Utah Medical Association office at 310 East 4500 South, Suite 500. Call 801.747.3500 or go to for further information.


Last Updated: 5/24/18